2009年1月8日星期四

Trip to the China Military Museum

On the 27th of December, we went to the China Military Museum otherwise known as 军事博物馆 in Chinese. Altogether, the museum consists of 4 levels so now I shall talk more about the various exhibitions that I went to on each floor.


At the first level, there is a weaponry exhibition that showcases China’s arsenal of weapons through the ages. After going through the exhibition, I felt that the museum is trying to highlight to the world that China is no longer a country that have weapons that are outdated by a century.


Nearly there…





The museum.







"Made in China” label =D




The exhibition on the first floor.





Big Guns!

After going to the first floor exhibition, I went to the exhibition on the Japanese occupation of China. The whole exhibition focuses mainly on the war effort contributed by the Chinese and even mentions Singaporean Chinese contributing to the war effort in China in one of the panels in the Museum. What I felt was very interesting in this exhibition was that the words they use to describe the Japanese convey very strong emotions – anti-Japanese emotions of the Chinese. Another interesting fact that I noticed was that they portray Chairman Mao in a very good light and focus solely on his achievements in the War, accentuating his contributions through various portraits of his valiant moments in the war. Although this exhibition on the Japanese Occupation in China was biased, yet I feel that this exhibition still provides us with new insights on the feelings that the Chinese have against the Japanese, and the extent of their worship of 毛泽东.



As for the third level and fourth level, the only thing interesting to me was the temporary gallery of the artworks of a China artist, whose name I have forgotten. His works focus around the theme of Nature.

To conclude this trip to the 军事博物馆, I feel that it is a very enriching and fruitful experience and trip for me as it really allowed me to understand how the tension between China and Taiwan, China and Japan and China and the 8 imperialist powers during the Opium War, ensued. So future batches of BSC people, please do spend some time to really appreciate and understand the history of Military China when you go to the 军事博物馆!


Signing off,
Long Peng
BSC Dec'08
High Flyers!

没有评论:

发表评论